Feedback Strategies: My Thoughts

1. What Kinds of Messages Help Kids Grow? (click!)
I have always been interested in how little kids perceive feedback. Is it significantly different than us adults? At younger ages, children are most vulnerable to outside influences  and feedback because they are in the process of forming their self concept and identity. Because of this, kids amazingly tend to veer away from a fixed mindset. When hearing feedback, children are much more receptive when the words show the exact cause and effect that resulted in the praise. I think there is a lot of power in the word "yet." It still acknowledges that the person is not invisible; they truly are not the best at the subject of interest. However, using this word implies that at some point, the person will be capable of achieving the goal-- realistic but motivating!

2. How to Give Feedback Without Sounding Like a Jerk (click!)
The tile of this article appealed to me because I am always afraid of hurting someone's feelings when giving feedback. I don't want my feedback to be perceived as me being a mean or bad person. I loved what this article said about explaining your feedback. I predict that this is a very successful tactic when put in the shoes of a critique. The intent of one's word can really change how it is perceived and the improvements that will be made accordingly. For example, if I am advising my friend, it may be most effective to explain, "I am only telling you this because I care about you."

In general, I have had a lot of experience giving feedback in previous social situations and courses. Instead of looking at the work thinking, "Ok, I need to find something wrong with this," I try to look at it in a more constructive way. I am thinking "How can I make this even better!" One particular strategy that I am looking forward to using this semester is asking questions. I think bringing up these inquiries can help the storyteller take a step back and evaluate the plot or work from the outside.



Comments

Popular Posts